Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shopping adventures, recipes and my meal plan

I went shopping yesterday with my husband. I had my grocery list, my coupons, a calculator and a budget. Here's a breakdown of yesterday's adventure...

Beginning budget: $100, cash
On my grocery list: Mainly fresh food (vegetables, fruit & meat) enough for 5 dinners.
Total number of grocery stops: 1 store
Total number of coupons: Since I was buying mainly fresh foods, I didn't use a lot of coupons, but I had a few that helped. I used 3 coupons total.
Amount spent: UNDER $100 - $91.70!!!!

I was able to buy all the items on my grocery list and even a couple of "luxury" items...i.e. name brand things. My plan when I bought my food, was to buy whatever was cheaper. I bought a lot of off brand names that taste just as good as the name brand ones and things that were on sale.

Dinner meal plan for the week of June 12th-June 18th, 2010:

Saturday, June 12th:
Spicy chicken with green Spanish olives (Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals, pg. 101)
Along with my Mama's Spanish rice recipe.

Sunday, June 13th:
Lean hamburger patties with brown gravy, egg noodles and peas.

Monday, June 14th:
My mother-in-law's Stuffed Bell Peppers. Stuffed with 80% lean hamburger, onion, tomato sauce & rice.

Tuesday, June 15th:
Chilaquiles Casserole *NEW RECIPE*
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chilaquiles_casserole.html

Wednesday, June 16th:
Mesquite grilled chicken on a bed of red leaf lettuce, tomato and green onions. Fresh peaches and/or apples on the side.

Thursday, June 17th:
My Mama's low-sodium cream of mushroom chicken with fresh sauteed mushrooms, fresh green beans sauteed with garlic and onions and fresh spinach on the side.

Friday, June 18th:
Left-over/fend for yourself Friday! I try to do this at least once a week or so, so left overs do not go to waste and we really get our money's worth for our groceries.

There you go! There is my meal plan for this week! Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have. Also, if you would like any of the above recipes, I would be more than happy to share them with you!

I was ECSTATIC when I realized that I had spent UNDER $100!! It REALLY helps to walk into a grocery store with a list, coupons, a budget and an idea of what you really need. If you are watching every penny like we are, then the calculator was an extra help as well.

THANK YOU FOR READING!! HAPPY EATING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment