Friday, June 11, 2010

This is just the beginning....

SO, here's the deal... I started this blog to keep a promise to myself. (My promise is stated in my previous blog).
I didn't realize when I wrote my promise on my Facebook account, that I would have gotten such amazing feedback! I even inspired a few people...which blew me away! I am REALLY happy that I can be that inspiration. But it doesn't stop here! I want to keep going! This is something BIG! I can feel it!

It wouldn't be right to start this blog without stating what inspired ME to do this. So, here it goes...

For the past few years....about 9 years, to be exact...I have been struggling with my weight. I feel like the moment I turned 18, I ballooned up and I didn't know why at the time. Back then, I just blamed it as "happy weight". I was in a great relationship with a wonderful man, Bryan; the love of my life. (In case you were wondering...yes, I am still with this wonderful man and we are married. I am SO lucky and blessed to have him by my side!)

It was in 2004 that I found out from my doctor that I had hypothyroidism. I was SO depressed about it! Mainly, because I knew this would change my life and I thought it would change my life in a bad way. You never want to be known as the girl who is "chunky" because she "suffers from a thyroid problem". I have heard too many thyroid jokes to make me feel more than self conscious. The doctor put me on medication for my thyroid and for the first year, while my body got used to the medication, I ballooned up even more! Because of this, my self consciousness and depression, worsened.

After everything was said and done, I had gained about 20 extra pounds. From the start, before my medication, I was 150 lbs. After my medication, 170 lbs.
All I could think after this was, "if this is what the medication is going to do to my body and if I have to live my life like this, forget it! I won't take my medication!" I talked to my mother, who is a nurse and who has hypothyroidism as well. She talked me through it and told me to stick to the medication. She said for some people it takes longer for the meds to go into affect. She was right, after about a year, the extra 20 pounds I had gained, came off naturally. However, I still had one problem: I was still 150 lbs. The extra weight HAD to come off!

So, here we are today...flash forward to 2010: My weight still continues to fluctuate. I have NEVER been able to lose weight successfully and keep it off. This is why I am doing this. I NEED to do this...for myself and for my health. While I am not in any great health risk at the moment, I don't want it to get to that point...so, I am starting now!
Along with hypothyroidism, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease runs in my family. I have PLENTY of reason to get healthy!
I should also mention that I suffer from hypoglycemia, this has been a constant struggle in my life, as well.

So far, in 2009 and 2010, I have had a lot of people put in my path to help me realize that it's time to get off my butt and do something!

First, my AMAZING prior manager and friend, Catherine. When I first met her, I could NOT believe she was in her 30's! She looked younger than me and I'm 27! I thought she was 24! She looked SO amazing and SO healthy! It wasn't until later that I found out her story: She used to be over weight like me, but she got her butt into gear, joined a fitness group (Crossfit) and started eating right. Now, she is this empowered, strong, wonderful, genuine woman. I strive to be like her. She is my classic inspiration. She turned me onto eating right and thinking about my health. She even set me up with a food plan from Crossfit on how to portion my food, eat healthy and what foods I should stay away from. She's also helped me balance my hypoglycemia with the food chart. I feel SO much better because of it! I could not thank her enough!
Catherine, you are the one who put the bug in my ear and you stir the change in my life and I am SO, SO blessed that I have met you! I love you SO much for that and for the person that you are!

Second person: Liza. Liza is a wonderful person I met here in Austin, when I first moved here in September 2009. I would like to say that she is my first official friend here in Austin. When we first met, she talked about the gym all the time and how she loves food and she loves working out. She was the second person to get me thinking about working out and eating right. Even though we live kind of far from each other, we still try to inspire each other and keep each other going via text, messenger and occasional hang out sessions. I love how she has become my partner in crime. She has taught me to not take life TOO seriously. Something I do quite often. Thank you Liza for being the awesome person that you are! I love you too!!

Third person: My mother-in-law, Jill. The last time I saw her, she looked different. I asked her why and she told me that she had lost 10 pounds on Weight Watchers. She looked REALLY happy and I realized in that moment, that I want that. She is happy because she is becoming healthier and she is finally doing what she loves in her life. She owns her own business and has written books. I am SO proud of her and SO happy for her! I want what she has in her life...happiness and health. I love you, Mom!!

Fouth person: My best friend, Ghadi. She has inspired me in ways I don't even think she can imagine! Not just inspiring me in becoming healthier, but in becoming my own individual and to always strive for what I want and never stop until I achieve it. One year on Thanksgiving, Ghadi ran her first 5K race. She told me that she has never felt prouder of herself. I am SO proud of her too! This year, in November, there is going to be a women's race in Scottsdale, AZ. She invited me to do it with her. I am still thinking on it and if I am going to do this or not...I will keep you posted!

I've noticed that my role models have been all women so far and all people I personally know. But they are all strong women. They know what they want and they go after it and I admire that SO much. What I admire the most though, is that they have all found balance in their life. They have been able to achieve health and happiness and keep it that way. They are all successful in my eyes.

Last, but not least...my fifth person: Jillian Michaels. Yup! That's right! I started watching her on The Biggest Loser and now I watch her on Losing It With Jillian. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HER!! She is in people's faces and she gives them NO excuse to quit, back down or make excuses. Some people might think her approach is a bit harsh, but I admire her for what she does. She gives people that push they need. I love her training style! She inspires me to become healthier and to become a stronger individual. She made me realize that I need to hold myself accountable and that I DO deserve great things....thus the reason for this blog!

Please take a look at the links below. Some will help you understand certain medical conditions I have mentioned in my blog and some will give you a chance to look at some of the fitness programs available to you. All things I have mentioned in my blog above.

Hypothyroidism:
http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothyroidism/article.htm

Hypoglycemia:
http://www.medicinenet.com/hypoglycemia/article.htm

Crossfit:
http://www.crossfit.com/

Weight Watchers:
http://www.weightwatchers.com/Index.aspx

Jillian Michaels:
http://www.jillianmichaels.com/


THANK YOU FOR READING!!

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am so honored to have been an inspiration. You are truly a beautiful person inside and out & I'm so proud to be your friend! You are inspiring me right now too!! You deserve all good things and I know you reach your health and fitness goals without a doubt. I would love to bring you to one of the free "bring a friend" workouts they do at my gym. I'll let you know when the next one is. I also wanted to share one of my favorite blogs with you: www.theclothesmakethegirl.blogspot.com. I started reading her blog and she inspired me so much I had to send her an email. Now we are great friends! But she also has thyroid issues and she writes a very open blog about her workouts and journey of weight loss. She has tons of recipes too and they are delicious! I'll share more resources with you as I think of them. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catherine! Thank you SO much!! I will definitely check out your friend's blog! I would like to go to your gym and check it out too! :o) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa love, I am so proud of you for hunkering down and making this commitment to yourself. I am here for you anytime. You know me my world revolves around flavors! it's all about balance. If I have to have that extra wedge of cheese & honey or bite of cake. I say to myself "YOU can have some but you're going to make it up somewhere..." either a longer walk with Izzy, or a painful extra 2mins on the tread! To me is worth it. Don't punish yourself by not eating the things you love. Just be aware of your intake and have fun! People don't realize how quickly the body can adapt and transform. Just remember to reward yourself for every victory no matter how small or how big! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete