Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tricks and Tips

So, I'm almost through my first week of food blogging with my friend Catherine.  It's REALLY helping me to become more conscious about what is going into my body and how much of it.  I'm REALLY glad she proposed to food log with me...it's seriously helping me out!

With that being said, I decided to pay it forward and do the same thing with my friend Cassandra.  Tomorrow I will be double food logging...haha!!  But it's okay!  I'm REALLY excited to help my friend Cassandra!  I hope it helps her in the way it has helped me.

SO...I thought I would share some tips and tricks that I have learned so far while food logging.


Portion Size.
I've learned that I can ACTUALLY be full with a smaller portion size!  Amazing, isn't it!?  For example, the other day for lunch I had: 1/4 medium size chicken, 1/4 avocado and 8 cubes of spicy eggplant with marinara.  I actually felt STUFFED after this meal!  So much so, that I didn't have a mid afternoon snack.  I was still full from lunch!  I'm really glad that I'm grasping the whole portion thing...I was really afraid it was going to be a problem.  But I learned that if you listen to your body, it will actually tell you when it is full.  Now remember, every one's portion sizes are different.  It also all depends on your activity level.

Slow down!
...because your food is not going ANYWHERE!  Along with portioning your food and listening to your body, it's a good thing to not speed eat.  After being a retailer for a few years and only getting 30 minute lunches, it's kind of hard to learn how to slow down.  But, I'm doing it!  You just have to pace yourself!  I'm really glad I learned this one, because now I can savor my food so much more and REALLY enjoy the taste of my food.  I feel like I'm trying food for the first time again!  Flavors are SO much more tasty when you have the time to enjoy it!  And hey, if you work in retail or any other job that only allows for 30 minutes for lunch, just think about all the time you might have left over if you portion your food right.  You won't be wasting so much time trying to chow down a Big Mac, large fries and a large soda.  You will actually be able to savor your lunch and not feel sluggish afterward.

Fresh food IS the key!
Before food logging began and when I realized I wanted to be healthy, I realized I lacked one MAJOR key...FRESH FOOD!!  Fresh food is SO much more tastier than canned or frozen.  Although, sometimes you can't help it and you still have to make those frozen green beans...that's okay too!  As long as your daily intake includes LOTS of veggies and some fruits and most of them being fresh...  But let's face it, canned green beans over fresh green beans sauteed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil sound SOOO much better...wouldn't you agree?

Not so expensive...
I know what you are thinking...Lisa, fresh food is great and all, but that costs mola!  And a lot of it I don't have!  Yup...that's what I thought too.  But actually, if you can find some really great produce at your local grocery store, it's not that bad.  Just make sure you watch out for the price labels and exactly how the produce is preserved and you'll be fine!  Trust me!  I am doing the SAME thing and I feel GREAT!! :o)  I'll do a little more research and get a little more into detail about produce and making sure it's safe, later.  In the mean time, here's a really great link I just found!  It's tips on how to save on produce: http://thehappyhousewife.com/saving-on-produce-2/

Also, since we are on the subject of produce...I found a REALLY great organic produce spray you can use to safely wash waxes, chemicals and dirt off your yummy fresh veggies and fruits! 
It's called, "All Natural Veggie Wash".  It's made with organic citrus.  The acids from the citrus eat away the waxes and such on your food, but in a safe manner.  Kinda like a de-greaser!  My apples have never been so squeaky clean!  I love it!!  It's by far my favorite product to have in my kitchen, right along side my Simple Green cleaning solution.
Here's the website: http://veggie-wash.com/

You don't have to be a champ and risk it all.
Just remember, while cleansing your body by eating healthy (because that's what you are actually doing) you don't have to "be a champ" and dramatically make ALL these changes ALL at once.  Start slow; only do things when you feel ready.  But remember that the more steps you take to becoming healthy, the better you will feel.  You don't have to immediately go out to your nearest organic market and spend hundreds of dollars on everything...just ease your way into it and you will be fine!  The same goes for exercise...ease your way into it.  Don't go crazy and do everything right off the bat.  I've realized that becoming healthy is not JUST a change...it seriously is a life style.  I know that sounds so cliche, but it really is true.  Once you get hooked on healthy, you'll never want to go back!  Just listen to your body; it will tell you what you need to do.  OH...one more thing...a little side note...also, make sure you push yourself in a healthy way, otherwise, you'll get stuck in a rut.  So...remember that one.  That is just as important.

Don't waste your time on thinking about what you USED to be...
I once heard from a doctor that once you get older, it's a waste of time to strive for something you used to be.  SO TRUE!!  This is actually true in all aspects of life.  But, mainly in the health department of your life.  Just remember that as you get older your body changes and there are certain things that you used to be able to do, but may not be able to do now.  For instance, I used to be a size 5 or 6 in high school.  Today, I don't think I could be that skinny, even if I tried!  I feel it's a much more healthier approach to concentrate on becoming healthy and eating right, more than becoming a size you once were or becoming skinny.  Remember, your metabolism is A LOT different than it was in high school!  Whether you want to admit it or not!


WELL...for now, those are my "tricks and tips"!  I'm sure I will learn more as I go along and share them with you all! :o)

THANK YOU FOR READING!!

1 comment:

  1. Such an awesome blog!! I need to start eating slowly, that's one of my biggest issues! I love these tips though, thank u so much for sharing!! *hug*

    ReplyDelete